Old 03-06-2006, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

Default Did they get it wrong on BBC2

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 07:36:57 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote
(in article ):

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
Watched Titchmarsh who talked about Gunnera manicata and pronounced it
kate-a. Thought it was cart-a?
Saw Carol Klein getting rid of an Alkanet before it seeded and could swear
she was removing a Borage. I know they are related but do people call

borage
alkanet?

I think it would depend on how you pronounce other words I would say cart-a
but then I say war-ter rather than watt-er I am always a bit doubtful when
someone confidently says it should be pronounced such and such, I believe
the original international agreement (back in the 1700's) was that Latin
would be used and it would be pronounced as per local language
pronunciations and not as a Roman would have said it. Only rarely does
someone say the plant name in such a way I can't work out what they mean
(usually because they have only seen it written and never heard it said) so
the system works quite well without being too pedantic.

I sometimes wonder how many people pronounce 'Pinus' correctly........ ;-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk