Old 03-06-2006, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Did they get it wrong on BBC2

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

As nobody got around to tape recording that at the time, nobody living
today knows how that was pronounced. As I posted, we DO know which
vowels were long and which short (from poetry), but we don't know if
long A was pronounced as in Kate or cart - or even Kurt or kite,

Er...

If the long A formed the last syllable of a rhyming couplet
in which the last word of the other line was "cart" or "dart",
then it would be reasonable to suppose it too was pronounced
"ah".

If on the other hand the long A formed the last syllable of a rhyming
couplet in which the last word of the other line was "bite" or "sight",
then it would be reasonable to suppose it too was pronounced
"aye".

If on the other hand the long A formed the last syllable of a rhyming
couplet in which the last word of the other line was "gate" or "bait",
then it would be reasonable to suppose it tooo was pronounced
"ay".

Would it not?

though
there are some educated guesses (and a lot of dogmatic claims).

Presumably all such pronounciations can be deduced, by cross
referencing the endings of rhyming couplets.

Given that both rhyme and metre were especialy important
in oral cultures, as aids to memorisation.

michael adams

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.