Old 03-06-2006, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

Default Acer Palmatum troubles

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 23:53:14 +0100, Antonia wrote
(in article ):

Thanks for your very helpful reply Sacha! The tub was obivously too bigfor
the acer as the root system was still tiny when I de-potted it tocheck, so
I've repotted it in a much smaller pot. I'll stop watering itunless it gets
really dry. It sounds like I should treat it in much thesame way as I treat
my pots of lavender, which are all doing reallywell (potted in general
potting compost mixed with sharp sand andperlite, and watered only by the
rain). Does that sound like a goodplan?

We use ericaceous compost and you could certainly mix in sharp sand or grit.
We don't use Perlite.

How resilient are Acers - does it have a good chance of recovering? Itdoesn't

seem to be in *too* bad a state.

snip

It has every chance of recovering if you let it dry back to a normal state of
compost.
BTW, just as a tip, the more usual habit for urg is to bottom post, rather
than top post. Top posted replies often get ignored by quite a few people
because it's easier and more logical to reply to the last remark. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk