Old 04-06-2006, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

Default Dead birch trees

On 3 Jun 2006 14:14:30 -0700, MidnightDad wrote:
from the trunk. This spring, the trees didn't bud and they are barren.
I think they are all dead. Does anyone have any ideas or insight
about what happened? Are there any signs of parasite damage I should
look for? Is there any treatment I can give them? BTW, I received no
guarantee from the landscaper so it looks like I'm out $1,000.

Could have been any number of things, from transporting the trees
untarped before planting (you know those trees going down the freeway
at 65 mph, whipping in the breeze? That sucks moisture right out of
the tree-- not a good thing), to improper planting, to soil type not
suitable, to planting diseased stock, to poor watering (water deeply
and not so often), etc. etc.

I understand bronze birch borer is a common pest in the NE states; you may
want to choose a tree species better able to cope with local conditions.

Kay