Old 04-06-2006, 04:03 AM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible
Radium

Default Ripe Apples DON'T Smell Bad

Jim Carlock wrote:
"Radium" wrote:
Do most sniffers think suger smells bad? Has anyone actually
stuck their nose into a container of pure table suger? I've done
that and it does smell bad but not as strong ripe fruits.

Sugar does have an unpleasant odor.

What causes sugar to stink?

And I like raw lemons.

Me too.

I like almost all fruity flavors. What I hate is the ripe smell. I
hate the smell of sugary fruits. Sugary fruits may taste "sweet"
but they certainly do *not* smell "sweet". They smell bad.

Your talking about sugary fruit, reminds of banana bread pudding.
Not that I ever thought the smell was out of the ordinary or
distasteful, I think your olfactory sensitivity might be a little more
sensitive than others.

There was a body fat test performed on a class of students at one
time. The test measures the amount of electrical impedance in the
body to get a reading. A whole class of fourty students had a lead
hooked up to one hand and a lead hooked up to another hand.
Everyone experienced the test. Unfortunately or fortunately, no
one else felt a thing. The instructor mentioned that no one would
feel anything. When the current ran through me, I felt it move up
my right arm, swirl in my head and then move down the left arm.
In fact, it spooked me and I blurted out, "Hey I felt that!" No one
else admitted feeling anything.

Hope this helps.

--
Jim Carlock