Old 04-06-2006, 02:44 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default green water - UV lights

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Jim Fellows" wrote in message
ink.net...
anyone have suestion on green water and how to keep it away i have a bio
filter and a uvlight worked great last year but not good this year and put
new uv bulb in this year

==========================
Give it a chance. My smaller pond was the pits after refilling it this
spring. It turned a murky brownish green. We hooked up a UV light to clear
off the algae. I also added more pond plants and some POTASH! In a week
you could see the difference. The water lilies, set at the south side of
the pond are helping shade the water.

The larger 2000g pond was so green about all you could see were fish lips.
I added a 1/2 cup of potash to the plants along the two sides and that pond
is now crystal clear - no need for us to hook up the UV light for it now.
Potash (potassium) seems to be missing in many ponds. For the plants to
utilize the nutrients in the water and starve the algae they need this
element.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.