Old 04-06-2006, 12:22 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

Default Plan "B" Shade Tree

Obviously, you're not interested in any of the majority trees that grow
natively in the hill country.
I've had good luck with a couple varieties of pecan trees (a minority group
that does grow wild near water runoff sources). They don't do much the
first year, so don't expect much immediately. You're going to have to find
a "soft spot" to plant. Or, you can make your own with rock bar and some
sweat. You may have to try more than one location as the rocks may be too
big or thick. Once planted, just drip water them from a garden hose every
couple of weeks if no rain. A tree spike fertilizer will help stimulate
root growth. Make sure the drip hose is wetting it. Rotate watering near
the trunk, then to near the spike.

On the bad side: Around the 10 year mark, the pecan may begin bulging its
surface runners slightly above the ground. Gets worse as the tree further
matures. You have to love raking leaves in autumn. A couple of types of
webworms/caterpillars love eating these tree's leaves.
On the good side: Very good canopy, cool temps compared to most other trees
that normally will grow in these region. Another tree suggestion is an elm,
same guidelines, doesn't seem as susceptible to webworms, but canopy not
quite as shady as pecan, but very near it.
All of the above is my opinion, subject to my observations and experiences.
Not someone elses.
--
Jonny
"Zzyzx" wrote in message
Well it looks like the weeping willow will not be a good choice for my
are.
Thanks for the input.

Since I'm in the hill country with little top soil & a limestone base.
What
will be a good tree(s) for shade?

Thanks!
Dave