Old 04-06-2006, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

Default Plant IDs please - worrisit ?

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 23:04:43 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote
(in article ):

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 22:29:14 +0100, Sacha Hubbard
wrote:

Only if you claim it in person.
In all seriousness and very much of the moment, we had some people return a
golden hop today, claiming something was wrong with it. All that was wrong
was that they hadn't planted it in the two weeks they'd had it and hadn't
watered it, either. I showed it to Ray who confirmed this and offered them
replacement but no, they chose a Solanum instead. Off they went, very
happy
bunnies. The kicker is that one of our staff used to work at a garden
centre
in this area and she says that they played this game so often there that
they
were, eventually, banned from returning plants of any sort, at all. They
buy
a plant, let it stand around untended for a week or two, bring it back,
choose another that's a little more expensive and expect not to have to pay
the difference, do the same thing a couple of weeks later and so on and so
on. IOW, they never actually plant anything! They admire it for a while,
until they kill it and then ask for a more expensive replacement of
something
entirely different, trading up all the time!

I'm obviously a very naive person but I find such antics bordering on
the incredible. I wouldn't have the sheer front to do that. I find the
whole concept of taking plants back after I'd bought them and planted
them rather amazing - with perhaps the exception of buying a very
particular type of plant and not receiving the particular variety
requested.

At least now we're forewarned!
Interestingly enough, David Poole came to see us this morning and tells us
that the national body representing nurseries and gcs says that 6 months is
the outer limit for guarantee. They figure that a plant has had plenty of
time to be taken home, planted and live or die by then!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk