Old 17-03-2003, 05:20 PM
~ jan

Default Disaster struck a fellow PORG

Wow! Sad story. :'o(

When I first got into internet ponding I started at Compuserve's Fishnet.
There was a guy there with an indoor pond that had it rig up (aaah,
technology) to call his cell phone if the power went out, leaks, and
various other troubleshooting capibilities. But I digress....

I know in the summer, with my koi ponds, all I can say is, "By the grace of
God, go I" if I'm not careful. ~ jan

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 23:53:42 GMT, "Just Me \"Koi\"" wrote:

Hi all,
One of my ponding buddy met with great pond disaster.

He has 11 show quality Koi ranging in size from 24" to 28", and about 6 more
Koi of about 8". All in one small tank (4'x8'x3') Too small, but he made
up for the size in the GPM of his pump, and the quality of his filter. He
has owned all but one of these fish from 8 years ago when they were 3"
long.(Hence the small tank). He was in the process of building his
permanent Koi pond of about 7500 gallons!

Anyway we had a serious rain fall here in southern California last night,
and somehow his GFCI outlet his pumps were connected to went out. No pump,
no filtration, extremely high ammonia spike.

He lost 10 of his 11 show quality huge Koi. He was so attached to these
fish. You can imagine having had them for 8 years and raising them from
babies. It was sad seeing a grown LAPD Officer cry because of his Koi.

I had to help him dig the holes to bury these Koi in.

Moral of the story? Don't rely so much on your pump and filtration by over

I hope he doesn't give up ponding!

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~