Old 04-06-2006, 06:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

Default How do you get rid of 5-leaf ivy and some other stuff?

said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
I Love Lucy said:

wrote in message
ups.com...

If the vines are in an area where you can spray, then just spraying
with 3% Roundup will work. Or you can cut and then treat the new
growth with Roundup or one of the similar products made for weeds and
brush. They are cheaper and more effective than triclopyr, which is a
selective herbicide.

I doubt a 3% solution of Roundup will kill such a mature vine.

Have you ever tried it? I've routinely used it on mature poison ivy
and it works very well. On ground based poison ivy, I just spray it on.
If it's a large vine going up a tree, with no accessible leaves, I cut
it, wait till new growth emerges, then spray it a month later.

I use it often at work, when the need arises, to kill all green growth in
an area (hardscape joints, cool-seaason grasses trying to come through
dormant zoysia, etc.).

Never had to brush it on.

Then you never tried to selectively remove plants. You take the lazy way
and just kill off the entire area. In the case of clover, Dacamine would be
a MUCH better choice of a herbicide than triclopyr. Triclopyr is better
suited to *woody* plants (such as the ivy in question).

In my experience the broad spectrum total vegetation type killers have
always been more effective than a selective herbicide, where there is a
tradeoff on what it will and won't kill.

Of course, if you don't care about the surrounding vegetation, then a
"total vegetation type killer" will do the job. Using specific chemicals,
for specific applications, is MUCH more efficient.

I'm curious as to just what your "experience" with the multitude of
herbicides on the market, is. Killing clover and plantain in your backyard?

For example, triclopyr is
used for clover control in lawns. It usually takes at least two
applications to control it. The first tends to just stunt it. If you
sprayed that with Roundup or another total vegetation killer, it would
be dead the first time, but so would the grass.

Yup. Then you're left replacing much more vegetation than necessary. And, I
don't know anyone that uses triclopyr to kill clover, when dacamine does
the job in one application, at the same time doing NO harm to the
surrounding turf grasses.

As to the OP's question of future planting following Roundup, it's safe
to replant a week after application.

snip

I'll leave you the links below. You could obviously use them. When you've
finished, do a search on dacamine.

More reading on both products:
http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/triclopy.htm
http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/glyphosa.htm