Old 04-06-2006, 09:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default How do you get rid of 5-leaf ivy and some other stuff?

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
The "painting" recommendation was was because it was unclear what other
plants were in the area. It's better to be safe about it. If there are
woody plants in the vicinity, then I'd err on the side of caution. You, on
the other hand, would spray the area with Roundup, then replace all the
shrubs and any other plants in the vicinity. Effective? Sure. Efficient?
Not in the least.

You apparently are so stupid that you can't or won't read. The very
first post in this thread I said this:

If the vines are in an area where you can spray, then just spraying
with 3% Roundup will work. Or you can cut and then treat the new
growth with Roundup or one of the similar products made for weeds and
brush. They are cheaper and more effective than triclopyr, which is a
selective herbicide.

How in the hell could anyone but a complete moron interpret that to
mean that I recommended killing everything and replacing shrubs. Are
you really that stupid?

As for specific application herbicides being more efficient than a
broad spectrum kill everything one, that is BS too. There are major
tradeoffs in a chemical that will kill weeds, while leaving a desirable
plant unharmed. Are you gonna try to tell us that the crabgrass
killer one can buy in the local home center is more effective than
Roundup? What a joke. Roundup will kill the crabgrass and the
surrounding grass in a week. The crap they sell for crabgrass, might
kill it after 2 or 3 applications and a month. Even Acclaim, which is
very effective against crabgrass, isn't nearly as effective as Roundup.

Wow you don't get it, do you? So, by your logic (sic.), you only consider
an herbicide effective if it totally decimates the surrounding vegetation.
Glad you don't work for me.

Again, how you know perfectly well I never said any such thing. The
exact quote is above, read it and learn. To make a point, I only said
that in general, herbicides that kill virtually all vegetation are more
effective than selective ones that have to leave plants, like lawn
grass, standing. And that Roundup works against ivy, poison or
otherwise, is cheap, and a good solution. If the OP has some Roundup
in the garage, or can get it for less than another alternative, should
she run out and buy something else, just because you happen to say so?
Monsanto says Roundup works on ivy. I've used it myself and it works.

And as in the example I gave above, Roundup will dispatch clover a hell
of a lot better than any of the selective herbicides.

There's more factors involved with killing crabgrass than just spotting it
and running for your bottle of herbicide. But, you wouldn't know anything
about that, would you?

Yeah nice avoidance of the fact that Roundup will kill crabgrass and
anything else a lot better than the selective herbicide. BTW, I'm not
gonna take the bait and start another discussion with a moron about how
to kill mature crabgrass.

(Disclaimer for morons. This does not mean one should use Roundup on
their lawn)

I'm curious as to just what your "experience" with the multitude of
herbicides on the market, is. Killing clover and plantain in your backyard?

For example, triclopyr is
used for clover control in lawns. It usually takes at least two
applications to control it. The first tends to just stunt it. If you
sprayed that with Roundup or another total vegetation killer, it would
be dead the first time, but so would the grass.

Yup. Then you're left replacing much more vegetation than necessary.

Well Duh? Did I ever say to spray a total vegetation killer in areas
where there is desirable vegetation?

That's all you've been saying. "If I got clover, I just kill the whole area
with Roundup." So, you're gonna change your story, mid-stream now?

You really are either a total moron or a liar. Show me where I ever
said that "If I got clover, I just kill the whole area." I never
said any such thing. What I said was a total vegetation killer, if
sprayed on the clover or crabgrass in turf would quickly kill the
clover and crabgrass as well as the grass. While a selective
herbicide that will leave the grass alive, makes it harder to kill the
clover/crabgrass, because it's less effective. That's one of the
tradeoffs with selective herbicides. Got it now, or must I repeat it
again?

Sure, I wouldn't use Roundup on
turf, where there are solutions that will kill the weeds, but leave the
plant.

Again, that's all you've been saying.

Liar

What the hell does that have to do with whether Roundup or
Triclopyr is better suited to killing poision ivy? The OP doesn;t
have it in her lawn.

She doesn't have it at all, dumbass. You seem to be the one with all the
poison ivy. She wants to remove Virginia Creeper, and another vine, that is
NOT poison ivy, but quite resembles poison oak, from the first picture she
posted (still no positive id).

And it don;t matter moron, because apparently she has desirable plants,
not turf, around what she is trying to kill. Which is why the
application will be exactly the same whatever she uses to kill it.

Oh, and another thing. You accused me of being lazy claiming that I
spray Roundup around, killing desirable plants to get at weeds, which
is a total fabrication Well, that's another good inisight into your
knowledge and experince ain't it? You obviously think it's easier to
kill desirable vegetation, like turf, or in the OPs case other plants,
shrubs, etc and then replant and regrow things. Doing that ain't lazy,
it's stupid, because it's more cost and far more work.

And here;s more insight to your expertise:

"Cut them back to a few inches from the ground, and then paint them
with a
half-strength solution of triclopyr."

Anyone with experience with these chemicals knows that half-strength
makes no sense. Half of what? You can buy triclopyr in all kinds of
concentrations. So half strength of what, genius?

Now get the **** out of here, OK. All the OP has is some ivy, which
she can kill with triclopyr, Roundup, or a dozen other products. This
is a simple thing, people do it every day, and you have no lock on the
only solution.

--
Eggs

-Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to use the Net and
he won't bother you for weeks