Old 05-06-2006, 08:39 AM posted to aus.gardens
Ian Stanley, Brisbane

Default Potting mix question

The grubs are curl grubs and are the juvanile stage of the rhino
beetle. best way to treat the mix is with lawn grub spray, the worms
"eat" the potting mix and you will find your potting mix slowly
dissapear. Keep the pot on feet or in a saucer to stop the worms
Staycalm wrote:
I have a large unplanted pot which still had a lot of potting mix in it. I
decided to combine it into another pot. When I was tipping it I saw masses
of red worms and at least half a dozen large witchetty grubs. Are these
useful or harmful in a pot? Should I try to remove the grubs or just let
them be. I will probably plant a citrus or other small fruit tree in this
pot (which is quite large).

Liz