Old 05-06-2006, 06:30 AM posted to austin.gardening
Gae Xavier

Default When Skeeter Dunks Don't Work

Jangchub wrote:
On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 11:06:30 -0500, Gae Xavier wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 22:32:32 -0500, Gae Xavier wrote:

Victor Martinez wrote:

Gae Xavier wrote:

So if you do not keep those containers clean of organic matter, the BT
will not work on the skeeters. I had no idea! Who knew?

I doubt that information is accurate, since dunks work just fine in ponds.

Hey Victor!

My pond has plants and fish and is nice smelling and clear looking, but
my trash cans with drainage off the roof get a lot of tree debris and
leaves, so the water is brown and brackish and the gunk at the bottom
smells like sewer.

So, I suspect that is the sort of organic matter that she was referring
to not well-balanced pond water.

Gae

It doesn't matter. All ponds have sludge at the bottom, especially if
there are fish. The dunks work, and the information you read is
incorrect.

The smell in the bottom of the trash cans are anaerobic organisms.

Look, I didn't come on here to argue with you two smart guys.

All I know is the woman on Central Texas Gardener show made a statement
to keep your water containers clean of organic debris if you want your
dunks to work properly.

Good Luck to You -- Gae

She was incorrect. Nobody is arguing with you, trying to inform, not
argue.

"The granular Bti should be broadcast at 2.5-10lbs/acre, every 7-14
days, depending on the organic properties of the water: black, murky
water needs more than clear water. 10-20lbs/acre every 7-14 days may be
needed to control 3rd & 4th instar larvae in highly organic waters. "

http://www.biconet.com/biocontrol/bti.html

So twice the amount is required in black, murky water like I have (had
before I cleaned them out). I think the woman on TV was correct in what
she said and was stating something the sellers mention here.

However, with those big packets and my garbage containers (not acres of
water), using twice the amount of BT should not be a problem, but there
is a difference in black water and clear water, and like I said, it has
to do with the amount of oxygen in the water for the dunks to work well.

Cheers! Gae