Old 05-06-2006, 02:04 PM posted to austin.gardening
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Default Plan "B" Shade Tree

Zzyzx wrote:

Well it looks like the weeping willow will not be a good choice for my are.
Thanks for the input.

Since I'm in the hill country with little top soil & a limestone base. What
will be a good tree(s) for shade?

Thanks!
Dave

===
Due to the poor conditions of the soil in and around the central TX area, my
wife and I decided to go with native trees and others that have adapted well to
the area. My advice would be to take a walk around your neighborhood to see
what has been planted and what has been growing there forever. Another good
source is to visit a couple of "good" garden centers - Gardenville - (not the
big boxes - Home Depot/Lowes) and consult with their tree people, or visit some
of the tree sellers - Ed's Trees. If you go to the big boxes, they have free
information that can start you on the way. Note: I am not affiliated, related
or employed by any of the companies I mentioned, I am or was a simple customer.

In a nutshell, research - reseARCH - RESEARCH.

Good luck,

Ray
South Austin
===