Old 05-06-2006, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VisionSet

Default can i cut my dead bluebells?

"DominiqueB" wrote in message
news

Hello I am new to gardening forums. I would like to know if I can cut
off all the dead stems and foliage from my blue bells as I am keen to
plant some more flowers in my borders and the dead flowers look awful
and are in the way! Can anyone advise me
Many thanks

Bulb and tuber type plants rely on the foliage to get the bulb back in shape
for next years flowers. Flowering takes a lot of energy out of a plant. So
it is best to let them die back naturally, you can always tie the leaves
neatly.
However.
a/ I suspect when the leaves get pretty manky say by end of June they won't
be doing anything useful.
b/ Bluebells are pretty weed like and stand alot of abuse. I personally
chop them back in my more pristine areas as soon as they have finished
flowering. I don't expect that helps them divide and spread, but it
certainly doesn't lessen there blooms.

So if you want them to spread quickly let the foliage die back naturally,
otherwise chop them back. Other bulbs aren't likely to be so tolerant.

Sacha will probably warn not to listen to me so take your choice.

--
Mike W