Old 06-06-2006, 02:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Marrs

Default Bell pepper problem

It sounds like you may have over fertilized the plant. Using too much
nitrogen based fertilizer will caust the plants to become stunted as well as
develop the deformed leaves. I grow the Blush variety each year and the
plants you describe are defininely not normal. If you suspect fertilizer may
be the problem, the cure may be a drastic replanting in new potting soil.
Wash the roots with water and completely repot and hope for the best.. It
may be better to just start over with new plants.

Good Luck.

Jim
"Pennyaline" wrote in message
I've grown bell peppers for years and haven't seen a problem like this one
befo

It is a Blushing Beauty, planted in a container as a seedling purchased
from a local nursery (and not Home Depot or other big box store... I can't
make that clear enough!). In its infancy it looked just like any other
pepper, but as time has gone on it has changed appearance.

It has not developed the lush, broad deep green leaves that peppers have.
The leaves are narrow. They are uniformly more yellow than green, and they
are also uniformly creased deeply along the central vein although not
outright folded. I can't detect any new growth on the plant.

I have never grown this variety before, but I can't imagine that it would
be significantly different from other peppers.

They nursery people have no idea what could be happening to the pepper.
They even had me bring the container to them, so that they could have a
look at it (wisely, they made me keep the container in the car and they
came out and look at the plant rather than have me carry it and whatever
its problem is into the nursery environment).

I have dealt with TMV and the other ordinary afflictions of peppers
before, and this is not any of those. I've looked it over for infestation,
and have found nothing. I may just be overstressed from one source or
another, and I may have to give up on the plant and hope for better luck
next year, but before I heft it into the bin I figured I'd ask you guys
first. Wish I could provide a picture, but my camera has shrugged off this
coil.

Any ideas?

TIA