Old 05-06-2006, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

Default what kind of vegetable would you recommend to grow in front yard?

On 5 Jun 2006 13:32:20 -0700, "Mark"
wrote:

The only place that is flat in my yard is in the front yard.
I want to grow some vegiatables.
What would you recommend to grow in front yard, so it is edible and
looks good enough not to **** homeowner asscociation?

If we knew what USDA zone or other climate reference you are in,
we might be able to offer more useful suggestions. Kales and leaf
lettuces are beautiful, but it's already way too hot here in
South Carolina for them.

There are lots of ornamental peppers, and some not intended as
ornamentals that are very attractive. Tabasco peppers are
beautiful, and tall enough to be planted at the back of a flower
bed. It's looks like a giant candelabra with thousands of tiny,
multi-color lights, *and* most big box stores carry Tabascos.

Most squashes have pretty blooms on them, although they can
sprawl, so pick your variety carefully. A lot of peas have nice
flowers, too, and can be trellised. Jerusalem Artichokes
(Sunchokes) will make your homeowner's association think you're
growing sunflowers. Sweet potatoes have nice blooms, too,
although they may wonder why you're digging up the whole flower
bed come fall.

Oh, and don't forget your herbs. If you're not too far north,
rosemary makes an attractive shrub. Red basils double as
ornamentals, and you could put some mint in hanging baskets for
your front porch. You could actually do the whole front yard as a
herb garden there are so many attractive herbs.

There are a lot of possibilities, but we need more information
about your home. What zone, how much sunlight, how much room, and
what did you have in mind to plant? Could you use planters, or do
you want mostly in ground stuff?

Penelope

- "pointed"