Old 06-06-2006, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Ash Tree

In article ,
Janet Baraclough writes:
| The message . com
| from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:
|
| years, but my question is how large can it grow in ten years,
|
| 30 to 40 ft tall, easily.
|
| and are the
| roots invasive over this period of time
|
| Yes.. Cutting the top does nothing to limit the root growth, and ash
| trees grow a very wide root spread.

As she says, though cutting the top every year does slow its root
growth. But even an annually coppiced ash in a rockery 10' from a
house is a pest.

Ashes are not rare, and should be planted only where there is space
for them. LOTS of it. They make first-class coppicing trees, for
producing firewood, poles etc. - but that is a commercial activity.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.