Old 07-06-2006, 03:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Elaine

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Duckweed

Jack as long as your pond is 24" deep or more (and it looks like it is) your
goldfish will be fine in the winter, just keep some kind of pump going for
water movement to keep the surface from freezing over to prevent the buildup
of poisonous gases. They go to the bottom in winter. Comet goldfish will be
fine and they can come in all different colors. Very hardy. I got some small
ones last summer and they have grown longer than my hand now. A couple even
let me "pet" them and hand feed. Enjoy!
Elaine
"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message
zxcvbob wrote:

For some reason I never saw the original post.

Thanks for the headsup. This was plaguing for a long time so for several
years I have been posting through Google Groups. This was sort of a test
sent via my isp news server and you have confirmed that the problem still
exists.

Anyway, it's hard to believe goldfish will eat this but it's certainly
worth a try. Do you suppose the garden variety would be hardy in N
Illinois?

js