Old 07-06-2006, 05:29 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Lily Pad and mud - soil

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Peter Smith" wrote in message
I picked up a lily, put it in my 60 gal. pond.
I woke up this morning to find the water all milky. I did a water
change, but the water was a gray milky color again.

Today when I got home from work I took the plant out, washed all the mud
out and left only the round bark and roots.
I took pea gravel, put the plant in a terra cotta flower pot, then put
it back in.
Do lily's have soil?
If so.
What kind of soil?
How deep?

For myself they do best in a rich garden clay type soil with a Jobe's Rose
Spike broken into thirds and inserted around the pot. The leaves are large,
numerous and there are many flowers over the summer. The soil is covered
with gravel to keep the the soil from easily escaping the pots.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.