Old 07-06-2006, 08:18 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default germination of Rock Elm ulmus racemosa; seed and cuttings

I ended up with zero cuttings becoming viable. I did end up with 4 new
rock elm seedlings but that is a pitiful success rate starting with 175
seeds. Maybe a cutworm did the damage. Maybe the seed were not properly
dried. Maybe I did not look closely at the seed collected, since they
were green, that they had been eaten at the tree site.

Maybe Rock Elm seed have a low viability rate. I planted about 50
siberian elm and 7 of them germinated. I planted about 50 american elm
and 11 of them germinated. Now I am transplanting them into larger
pots.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium