Old 07-06-2006, 01:50 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

Default Attempt at water ditch waterfall. - sounds of water

Yes they do make pumps as such. Its not the disrtance that degrades a
pumps performance as much as the height it has to pull / suck / push
water. A typical birdbath or fountain is pretty well within the
regions of a typical pump, however you need to take into consideratin
the lay of the land as well, as any gade is gong to have to be counted
into the height factor.....

You cold theroetically have a water hole 100 feet away and have a pump
mounted at the end of a 100 feet of pipe, and pull water fairly
efficient. However pushing water by having water at the water hole
and pushing it 100 feet is harder to do, so your best off with the
pump around the fountain area....make the supplly line larger than is
necessary. If it was me, I would probbaly make a manifold out of large
diameter PVC pipe say 4" or larger, and bury it, so it had an inlet
with screen ata the source of the water in the ditch, and had an out
let at the fountain. Water level would fill this PVC manifold
normally, so I wul din all reality be just pulling water from the
outlet end and let gravity push or keep the manifold filled. Sediement
may be an issue but there is means / fixes to take for that as well..

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 22:41:27 -0500, Mama Bear
wrote:
"Koi-Lo" Reply to NG Only wrote :

What you are attempting may not be legal. Why not put in a small
pond with a waterfall or some kind of fountain to make the noise you
seek?

Interesting thought.

Do they have inexpensive self-priming pond pumps that would pull water
from the ditch 30 feet away, and up into, for example, a large fountain
bird bath? It could be rigged up with a float switch to only turn on when
the birds knocked the water level down.