Old 07-06-2006, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Elderflower time again

On 7/6/06 12:34, in article
, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

snip

Yum! And the best dessert wine I ever made was elderflower. Start a
gallon of sweetish strong white wine, rack when the first
fermentation's done; then add a pint of elderflowers (removed from
stalks: stalks taste horrible) in the sterilised foot of half a pair of
tights weighed down with a fistful of sterilised marbles or a
sterilised small bottle full of water. Remove flowers after 3 days, and
rack into a demijohn. Proceed as normal. Best left for a year after
bottling.

I'd suggest using half-bottles, as this is a wine to savour, not to
glug in quantity.

For reasons I don't entirely understand, it will taste foul, not
delightful, if the flowers are left in more than three days. I've also
found that elderflowers make the place stink of cat if left around and
not used immediately.

I found that when I made the cordial last year. The kitchen stank and the
dogs were indignant! There are also recipes around for elderflower fritters
etc. It can be quite hard to get the tartaric acid or citric acid because,
apparently, both can be used to cut cocaine or to make bombs. I had no idea
what an exciting life I was leading by default!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk