Old 07-06-2006, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Leon Fisk

Default Something growing on my Oak tree (not acorns)

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 17:29:00 GMT, "Christine D"
wrote:

Yes, a big thank you to all of you. I was kind of freaked out when I first
read Elaine's message
but my husband tried calming me down by letting me know he's pretty sure
that it's not a Preying Mantis, since he's almost positive we don't have
them around here. (Eastern Canada)

Still, the idea of insects hatching inside my Oak tree kind of gives me the
heebie jeebies. There are around 8 or 9 galls total on one oak, and none on
the other two so far, and I have a HUGE insect phobia, so needless to say I
won't be going anywhere near that tree until they're all gone! *lol*

Again, thanks for looking and for all the info on what these are!

Hi Christine,

There are well over 600 known types of Galls/Insects that
attack Oak trees. The Oak Apple is just one of the better
known ones. There are plenty more, most likely on your tree
right now that you just haven't noticed...

Remember they are interested in the Oak tree, not you ;-)