Old 07-06-2006, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sax Maam

Default Blossom end rot on my tomatos

Hello (Newsgroup, Betzi, Judy ...)

I planted two tomato plants in 5 gallon buckets this year. Soil is
finished compost with some sandy dirt from the yard. The plants were
one "yellow jelly" and one "early cascade."

Both plants are looking great and are covered with tomatos. I've eaten
a few yellow jelly's, and I see that a couple of the early cascades are
beginning to turn color.

But this morning I noticed blossom end rot on some of the fruit. It's
been hot in Albuquerque lately (record breaking temps in high 90's).
I've been watering heavily each morning but not later in the day.

So I'm wondering what I've done wrong. Should I water twice a day? Am
I watering too much? It does seem that the plant is using the amount
that I'm giving it. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Susan