Old 07-06-2006, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

Default Blossom end rot on my tomatos

Sax Maam wrote:
Hi,

So ... I've actually been completely consistent with my watering
(amazing for me, but so far it's true) but it sounds as though the
plants might be getting too dry later in the day. And maybe too wet in
the morning? Does this sound like a good explanation?

Absolutely. Maybe a little of both. Better to water evenly than the
extremes.

I can still add some potting soil at the top of the pots ... there's a
couple of inches that aren't filled with dirt.

It certainly wouldn't hurt. Potting soil and peat have a lot of
nutrients to add as well. The sand that you added wouldn't retain the
water at all and depending what is in the compost, it may not be
retaining enough water for a container plant. Tomatoes don't mind the
extra soil and after you add it, add mulch to the top. It'll help retain
moisture and also ensure water doesn't splash the soil on the leaves
(which is how some disease develops).

About reusing soil: What do you think of adding that dirt back to my
compost pile in the fall?

I never add the soil from my container potatoes or tomatoes to the
compost or to my raised beds. They could contain a number of soil-borne
diseases that both plants are famous for. I add the soil to my lawn. The
grass especially loves old potato soil.

The same applies to tomato and potato plants. I don't add those to the
compost either. They will also pass on disease to anything in the same
family that is planted with that compost. (Unless you have a really hot
compost pile and can be assured that composted tomato or potato
soil/plant parts will not be used in future potato/tomato beds/containers).

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East