Old 07-06-2006, 06:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob

Default Blossom end rot on my tomatos

Sax Maam wrote:
Ah ... thanks for the link.

I guess for now I'll mulch the soil and switch to two waterings a day,
testing for moisture with my fingers. The soil might be too rich. I
wonder if I should add lime or wait and see.

Opinions about that?

Susan

Jim Carter wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 07:57:03 -0600, Sax Maam
wrote:

But this morning I noticed blossom end rot on some of the fruit.

Cloud Dreamer took the words right out of my mouth. Expect
losses of 50% or higher.

See http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-28-d.html for the
techie details. I hate, Hate, HATE that disease.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a

See if you can find a calcium chloride spray for tomatoes. IIRC, one
brand is Security "Stop Rot". Mix it up in a sprinkling can according
to the directions and water the plants with it, getting it all over the
leaves. It won't help the fruits that already have BER but should help
prevent more from getting it.

A dose of Epsom salts also might help. Epsom salts contains magnesium,
which works synergistically with calcium.

Best regards,
Bob