Old 07-06-2006, 07:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Growing your own to save

GrlIntrpted wrote:
My husband and I are in the midst of a heated debate. He disagrees with me
that growing your own produce is cheaper than purchasing it.

Besides the health benefits, and obviously the better tasting produce I
would be very interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on the subject.

Is it cheaper or more expensive to grow your own crops?

-M

Like many things... it can be done pretty cheaply, or pretty costly.
If you don't get too fancy, and study up a bit you can do it pretty
cheaply. One way to ensure it is cheaper is to grow only items that:
A) Are expensive to buy, or B) the quality of home-grown is far better.

Also consider thay you can grow organic, or at least with no pesticides
or herbicides. So if you are inclined than compare with the cost of
organic produce.

For example:
Tomatoes...you can't go wrong. Expensive in the store and the quality
of home grown is so much better they don't compare.

Sweet Corn... I don't grow it because I can buy pretty darn good sweet
corn for as cheap as 6 ears per dollar in season. It takes up a lot of
space, you are not saving any money and may just be feeding the
racoons.

Zuchini... expensive to buy. Easy to grow, and produce like mad. Same
with cucumbers.

(etc)
GF