Old 07-06-2006, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

Default How Bout This

On 7 Jun 2006 06:59:07 -0700, wrote:

Growing Phals in chunks of chopped up kitchen sponges. Aren't they
treated with mild anti-microbials anyway ?? Me thinks this is a good
idea.

People have grown orchids in chopped up tires and everything else.
Try it. I would fear the water holding capacity might be too great.
I use plastic peanuts (shipping peanuts) to hold my Ascda. upright in
vanda baskets. I have to add moss to the top to keep the water wand
from shooting peanuts all over the gh. It also adds a bit of moisture
retention that the peanuts don't have.

Please let us know how it works.

Anyone else want to tell what unconventional 'potting mix' you use?
SuE