Old 07-06-2006, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MadCow

Default Plant IDs please - worrisit ?

In message et, Sacha
Hubbard writes

Interestingly enough, David Poole came to see us this morning and tells us
that the national body representing nurseries and gcs says that 6 months is
the outer limit for guarantee. They figure that a plant has had plenty of
time to be taken home, planted and live or die by then!

What about bulbs?
Last autumn I bought some bulbs labelled "Scilla non-scriptus" with a
label clearly showing blue flowers. I was expecting wild-type
bluebells, deep blue, scented and with the top of the inflorescence
arching over.
What came up this spring was Spanish bluebells in a nasty shade of pink.
By the time they flowered they'd already offset into lots of tiny
bulbils that'll take years to eradicate.
I wished I'd kept the packet so that I could storm back to the GC and
complain - of course they just retail this stuff and don't know what's
in the packet, but their supplier deserves to be eaten alive by slugs.

--
Sue ]