Old 07-06-2006, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default Canna or hedechium

"Ornata" wrote in message
oups.com...
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"JennyC" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
A few plants have just sprung up in a couple of neglected pots.
They are either canna or hedechium but having looked at the leaves of
both canna and hedechium I can not see any particular difference.
What way can I distinguish between the two?

Cannas tend to have somewhat broader leaves. Wait a bit longer and this
will be more visible,
The rhizomes of hedechium are more like that of an iris.
Jenny

I shall have patience. I wonder what canna root taste like in Ginger
pudding:-)

In my experience Hedychium have more of a defined "stem" with the
leaves separately spaced along it. The pseudostem of Canna is more
like that of a banana.

Thanks that's solved the problem. Never noticed the pseudostem of Canna.
I have a Ginger of some sort.
Now all I need to do is find out how I tell the difference between C.
musifolia and the bananas:-)