Old 17-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] tool box

Better listen to Jim who can save you steps in raising
bonsai and horses at the same time... :-). One day Jim will

write the
definitive book on horse-hoof picks.

Don't forget the farrier's hoof snips. ;-) Great for big roots.
$30 cheaper than the same thing with "bonsai" tacked into its
label.

Alas, for all the preaching I do on keeping your bonsai tables
and work area neat, my work area is a disaster. I keep my
toolbox inside an old, homebuilt cabinet I made to hold my very
first Kaypro CP/M computer. My bottles of fish emulsion,
seaweed, and Peters fertilizer sit on top of the cabinet, beside
the Concern pyrethrin spray and the Bacillus thuriengenesis
concentrate, along with several now-empty spray bottles into
which will go my homemade soap or oil sprays if I need them. My
workbench is another cobbled-together batch of left-over wood
upon which an old, plastic printer stand sits with one of Gary
Marchal's turntables sitting atop it, and a smaller, wooden
turntable tucked underneath. There's a third, aluminum,
turntable somewhere. Five of those paint buckets with mixed
soil, OLD mixed soil, compost, pine bark nuggets, and freshly
collected sphagnum moss sit beside, underneath and just out of
reach of the old, rusty folding chair I sit on. A rickety table
beside me contains several rolls of wire on its top, another
bucket with a LOT of shorter, salvaged pieces of wire in it,
assorted trowels, hand rakes, half- and whole-chopsticks, a dead
trunk that SOMEDAY may make a tanuki, and ETC. (mostly etc.).
All of it covered with a general scattering of wasted Mule Mix
litter, old soil, and rags for vainly trying to clean dirt off my
hands. Also on hand THIS spring is a bottle of mosquito
repellant! (WILL IT EVER STOP RAINING????????)

So, do as I say, do not do as I do. ;-)

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --