Old 07-06-2006, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Ash Tree

On 7/6/06 16:53, in article , "MadCow"
wrote:

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

As she says, though cutting the top every year does slow its root
growth. But even an annually coppiced ash in a rockery 10' from a
house is a pest.

Ashes are not rare, and should be planted only where there is space
for them. LOTS of it. They make first-class coppicing trees, for
producing firewood, poles etc. - but that is a commercial activity.

It was probably self-sown; they do seed freely.

I'm always reluctant to agree with anyone on Usenet, but ten feet from
your house is too close for an ash tree.

They're forest trees, big and beautiful and lethal to a house at that
closeness. Sometimes, I suppose, a developer might have left a tree to
survive when building new houses but I expect that you're right with regard
to some sowing themselves from seed. In the case of the one I had to fell,
it was almost certainly planted deliberately and had plenty of time to
establish itself as the house was Victorian and before it was built, that
particular area of Jersey was given over to cider apple trees. The man who
surveyed the house for me went quite pale when he saw that lovely ash.
Great, great shame.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk