Old 07-06-2006, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Elaine

Default Something growing on my Oak tree (not acorns)

Hi Leon and thanks for the link. I have always been fascinated by the
praying/preying mantis.When my neighbor was in the Navy at Key West he had
one for a "pet" that lived on a plant in the apartment they were in. (Don't
freak out now Christine.) It was harmless to humans but kept the fly and
roach population at bay! They also fed it hamburger meat on occasion.
Elaine
"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 22:14:37 -0400, "Elaine"
wrote:

Well many thanks David and Lar you have solved this mystery I have always
wondered about. I really didn't think it was the praying mantis as someone
told me but I could tell it was something inside eating it's way out.

Hi Elaine,

The Preying Mantis egg mass looks like brown foam and is
usually stuck to things like your garage door, siding,
posts... See this link for some photos:

http://whatsthatbug.com/mantis.html

--
Leon Fisk