Old 07-06-2006, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jenny

Default Poison Ivy vs Bed Bugs

Leon Fisk wrote:
On 5 Jun 2006 18:08:56 -0700, wrote:

snip
The reasons I am doubtful about the poison ivy diagnosis a
1. I was outside for 60 minutes with a shirt and long pants and
sneakers on a Sat. got a thing behind my ear, 1 under my armpit and 1
on my bicep on a Thursday. (plus I showered right when I was done
outside, and I rarely go into the garden)

If you were hot and sweaty this may not have been soon
enough for clean-up. I've heard less than 20 minutes for
bathing to be effective.

snip
opening them up and spreading the poison around to new places on your body.

Is that true? My mother told me that if you break a poison ivy bite,
the liquid/pus does not spread the poison ivy.

You don't spread it around by scratching the sores. This is
an old myth that refuses to die. Scratching can cause an
infection and possible scars though. It acts much like an
allergy and is in your bodies system. Antihistamines can
provide some relief. The most likely points of breakout are
sensitive skin which came in contact with the oil. However,
you can break out in other areas too, most commonly where
your skin is soft and thin.

I have had individual small spots similar to yours and large
areas on other occasions. My last tangle with PI was a mere
year ago. I had small spots scattered all over my upper
torso and arms. There were a few areas that looked more like
welts.

When my son got the poison oak on his leg, it looked like he was wearing
a bright red sock up to his knee. No spots, just one contiguous raised
red area. The first time he got it it was on his arm and trunk and was
a large connected mass, too. I think he might have had some little
blisters too, but I'm not certain. This was 16 years ago.

--Jenny

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes Diabetes Info

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/newlydiagnosed.htm Get Your Blood
Sugar Under Control