Old 08-06-2006, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

Default Chigger bugs how to control them?

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

On 7 Jun 2006 09:40:36 -0700, "sand and sun"
wrote:

Hi,

When I pickup a wooden piece off the groud, I noticed tiny bright red
bugs, about the size of pencil dot. It was clearly visible on the
darkened wood. They left a red dye mark when squashed. Also I saw some
of them on the cement blocks that used as an edger around a pine tree.
I had a bite at my forearm, it was itchy firsh but I applied
Cortizone-10 cream and no problem after, could it be from a mosquito
also not sure. Could this be Chigger? Iam in Northeast CT (zone 6) and
not sure Chigger is a problem in this area?

Appreciate any help.

TIA

Sam.

It could be a chigger bite. It will itch like crazy for days, even
weeks, after the chigger is dead. You can apply a thick layer of
"fat back" (or bacon grease) to the bite and the chigger will die
after several hours. Chiggers have a very slow metabolism so it takes
awhile for them to suffocate. You can Google "chigger" to read about
the lifecycle.

No way. Chigger was there and gone NO THING to kill. Pain and itch
is your body trying to respond. If you want to put finger nail polish
or some other nasty stuff on it have fun. BUT the ******* is long gone.

Hard to believe.

Bill

--