Old 08-06-2006, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jackie

Default Chigger bugs how to control them?

sand and sun wrote:
Hi,

When I pickup a wooden piece off the groud, I noticed tiny bright red
bugs, about the size of pencil dot. It was clearly visible on the
darkened wood. They left a red dye mark when squashed. Also I saw some
of them on the cement blocks that used as an edger around a pine tree.
I had a bite at my forearm, it was itchy firsh but I applied
Cortizone-10 cream and no problem after, could it be from a mosquito
also not sure. Could this be Chigger? Iam in Northeast CT (zone 6) and
not sure Chigger is a problem in this area?

Appreciate any help.

TIA

Sam.

I agree with another post that your pests are probably not chiggers.
You could try Diatomaceous Earth, sometimes abbreviated DE. Its a
natural, safe, non-toxic product to use and is effective on a number of
insects. Especially effective on fleas, ticks and ants. It comes as a
fine dust so you should use a mask. To use as a spray add liquid soap
to water. You can purchase DE at hardware stores, feed stores and
garden centers.
Jackie