Old 07-06-2006, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Default the charm of species orchids

O.K., I think it has something to do with purity and the idea that here is
something that has not been adulterated by us. Of course, many hybrids are
bred to be hardier than species plants, but I think that people like Mick
Fournier are making attempts at breeding hardier species by crossing strong
examples. (Slap me if I'm wrong, Mick!)

I have plenty of species, plenty of hybrids, and plenty of primary hybrids.
This I can tell you: now that I've been growing orchids for a while, I do
gravitate to a species plant or a primary grex providing that I can see the
flower prior to purchasing the plant. After all, they vary so much. My
husband wondered why I was purchasing *another C. mossiae* until he saw the
flowers. Now he's in love with the wageneri but still loves the straight
mossiae. He's hooked, LOL!

Diana