Old 08-06-2006, 01:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

Default How Bout This

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 17:39:44 -0400, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

I have a huge Phal in clay and spag right now, and it dries
rather quickly. Still, when it's finished blooming, into Aliflor it goes.

Anyway, there are as many media for orchids as there are orchid fanatics
like us. Never hurts to try something new!

Diana

Repotting in Aliflor is easy. Pick the plant up. Check for dead,
decay, mushy roots -- none found = Stick it in a pot and pour fresh
aliflor in to fill it up. OH some stuck to the roots - no worry. The
stuff is not rotting. IF you flush your pots well it is not full of
chemicals or salts... it belongs to this plant just as if the plant
were growing in the wild. Less disturbance of roots.

My only problem has been with the summer cym breaking pots because the
root ball became too large and too strong. Cym Golden Elf has broken
out 3 times. They push up in the pot about 1-1.5 inches then they
just split the plastic pots. Now when one is sitting a bit high I
look for a split starting. Can not adequate water S/H if the pot is
split. G
SuE