Old 07-06-2006, 09:19 PM posted to rec.ponds
Carl Beyer

Default New to ponds

In article ,
"Steve" wrote:

Well I have been reading for a few weeks and finally decided to do a pond.
I will probably just put a few small goldfish in it nothing big. It will be
a preformed one from HD 165 gallons and 18" deep. I will bring in the
goldfish in the winter to an aquarium ( i have 4 of them).

My questions is : I will be getting a pump and filter combo (Beckett Small
Pond Filter Kit Model 7040210). Will I be able to run a waterfall that is 2
ft high and about 3 feet away from where the pump will be located? I
noticed that it has a valve for other water features on it so that is what I
was going to hook up to it. I will use the fountain attachement also.

Thanks in advance. It is all confusing to me. I am jsut not wanting to
spend money on two pumps if not needed.

Thanks
steve

I have a bit bigger system than your proposing, but it sounds the same.
A nice waterfall will probably need a 1100 GPH pump. Someone posted
some math so you can figure it out that way if you want, but 350GPH is
like a garden hose on medium slow.

I have a second pump that runs 24/7 that is 350gph (the water fall is
1400gph). it pumps water to my Sand Filter, and then into my UV light.
The waterfall pumps into a "Big" skippy filter and then to the falls.

To save money, I made my own filters, including my sand filter but not
my UV. I put plants in the pond, so it helps with the chemical process.
Then I made a bucket up with scrubbing pads (A skippy FIlter is what it
is called) and it really keeps the water clear. Then the UV does its
job to help as well.

UV's have to run 24/7 BTW.

If you want, take a look at Veggie Filters if you are making your own.
I would like to go back and do it again that way. Skippys are GREAT,
but a bit more maintenance... then again, mine is too small for my pond
and fish load...

Hope this helpsl. It is never easy, and almost always what ever you buy
you will regret cause you will want it bigger, better, badder later on
;-)

carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com