Old 08-06-2006, 02:52 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gail Futoran

Default Pond filter/pump advice for beginner, HELP!!!

"landymanash" wrote in message

Im totally new to ponds and need some advice

I have a pond of 1mx2mx.75m and need a filter system

I use a Pondmaster pond and have been quite
happy with its performance. See here for
some information:
http://www.bestfish.com/pondpump.html
I like the mag drives because they're simple,
easy to clean, last a long time, and I have no
complaints about electricity use.

I understand the need for UVC etc but I am on a tight budget.

I have three small ponds; none has a UVC. I
have a great deal of plants and low stocking,
and don't overfeed. The goldfish pond has a
filter w/ fountain (it's a kit, all in one); the other
two ponds only have minnows and have
no filtering. I did recently add solar oxygenation
to the other two ponds due to high daily
temperatures, but they probably don't really
need it.

What
pump/filter do people recommend?? I do want a couple of small fish but
no more.

I use a homemade filter based on a design
by someone on the newsgroup. Basically I
use a plastic letter crate, cut untreated furnace
filter to size (bottom, sides, top), add some
other filter material (whatever works), put
the pump in, plug it in. Submersible, of course.

From surfing the 'net, I've found a lot of water
garden sources in the UK. You might search
them out to find out what kinds of pumps are
available where you are.

I dont want a fountain and dont have a water fall but could easily add
one

A fountain is useful and doesn't add much cost.

Any advice to a newby pond owner would be great

--
landymanash

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA