Old 07-06-2006, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jollygreenp

Default Flower Identity

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from K contains these words:

Jollygreenp writes
We came across a striking looking flower hidden in our friends garden
amongst the aquilegias. Can anyone identify it please?
URL address below.

http://static.flickr.com/59/159915251_9f3f61deed_o.jpg

J.

Hmm. It's a pity the camera decided to focus on the leaf at the expense
of the flower! From the leaf I'd suggest globeflower (Trollius
europaeus) , but it doesn't seem to have quite enough petals. But the
centre of the flower suggests it is some member of the buttercup family,
so globe flower is probably right.

Seconded.

Janet.

Thanks folks, after searching through flower pictures in the
Ranunculaceae group all night I have come to the conclusion that it is
probably a Trollius Asiaticus
http://www.stauder.net/bildearkiv/Tr...ticus%20SL.jpg
that is just about to open fully.

J.