Old 07-06-2006, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default ****ing on compost

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Chris Bacon writes:
| George.com wrote:
| A question for those who **** on their compost heap.
|
| Please don't be vulgar, George.com.

This is uk.rec.gardening. We call a spade a spade.

According to one unassailable Internet authority, that phrase
originated from an ancient Greek expression: _ta syka syka, te:n
skaphe:n de skaphe:n onomasein_ = "to call a fig a fig, a trough a
trough".
It was translated into English in 1542 by Nicholas
Udall in his translation of Erasmus's version as "to call a spade
[...] a spade".

above from -

http://www.yaelf.com/aueFAQ/miftocllspdspd.shtml

The interesting thing to me in all this, is that there are no
actual euphemisms, so far as I know, for figs, troughs, or spades.

You have no choice but to call things figs or troughs or spades.

Or is the point that figs, troughs, and spades, are euphemisms for
something else ?

In which case the point of the saying surely, is that you should
in fact use euphemisms for things after all. I think.

michael adams

You may prefer
to call it micturation, but ****ing is something that we all do every
day. And many of us **** on our compost heaps :-)