Old 17-03-2003, 10:42 PM
Pam

Default fastest growing trees?

HI HI- wrote:

just curious as to what trees grow fastest? i love trees and want to plant them in my yard. only problem is i dont want to wait long for them to grow. i would get them big then plant them but i dont have a truck to get them to my house so i have t

o buy small. what are some nice trees that grow fast?
thanks for the input.

Despite all the comments to the contrary, there are a number of perfectly acceptable and relatively long-lived trees which can put on growth at a pretty rapid rate, once established. Leyland cypress, Thuja 'Green Giant', liriodendron, paulownia, Lombary p
oplar and various willows can all achieve 3 or more feet
a year if given proper conditions. Various oak species, red and Norway maples, Fraxinus pennsylvanica, alder and sweet gums should grow a couple of feet a year. In tree growth, this is considered pretty darn fast. One doesn't have to wait forever for a eve
n a young tree to reach a reasonable size if care is
given to selection and growing conditions.

pam - gardengal