Old 08-06-2006, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Elaine

Default strange beast pulling out tomato plants

Sound like the devily deeds of a squirrel. Maybe doing it at sunrise before
you get up.
They like to pull up newly planted annuals like that. The dummies think they
can find an acorn in the
fresh dirt. I have to check my beds and fix their damage everyday. I use red
or cayenne pepper to detour them.
Elaine
"old dirtbeard" wrote in message
. net...
We live in Palos Verdes (suburban Los Angeles) and have some mysterious
animal pulling freshly planted, small tomato plants out of the ground at
night. It is not eating the plants, but for some reason, pulls them out of
the ground and leaves them there.

Being that it is nocturnal, I could guess at an opossum or a raccoon, but
I have no idea why it would pull plants. I thought maybe an opossum
looking for snails, but it keeps returning and pulling out the same plants
about every other night.

We put bird netting over them, but it apparently got under the netting and
pulled them out again last night.

Any ideas of what strange beast we have lurking here at night?