Old 08-06-2006, 01:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

Default Leaf shreaders for home owners

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
. ..
Danny said:

Any reccomendations on Leaf shreaders for home owners?

Bought ours from Sears. Shreds finer and faster than using a lawn
mower. Far more practical for a garden fanatic.

http://www.yardener.com/ElectricLeaf...Craftsman.html

We shred large amounts of leaves each fall, for use in mulching and
composting the next year. We've got a B&D leaf vacuum to pick up
the leaves and blow them into the Sears shredder. The Sears shredder
sits on top of a garbage can lined with extra-heavy-duty contractor
cleanup bags and the finely shredded leaves get compressed as we
go along. Close off the bags with a nylon tie-wrap and store them
upside-down.

We bring in 70+ bags of leaves from around the neighborhood, plus what
falls in our own and next door neighbor's yard. The shredded leaves
(mixed with some cocoa shells) mulch the perennial beds and the vegetable
garden, plus serve as a major ingredient in batches of compost.

I also use the Sears shredder to chop up straw (for deep mulching potatoes
or patching the lawn) and shred newspaper (to add to the compost).

I really think someone is missing a business opportunity to sell bales of
dry, compressed shredded leaves to gardeners. They are far more useful
than baled peat. (I just recently saw big bags of dry, shredded straw
for sale, so maybe...)
--
Pat K. ('someplace.net' is comcast)

That would be a small electric shredder. You must be spending many hours
breathing in that dust.