Old 08-06-2006, 02:00 PM posted to austin.gardening
Zzyzx

Default Plan "B" Shade Tree

"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" wrote in message ...

Zzyzx wrote:

Well it looks like the weeping willow will not be a good choice for my are.
Thanks for the input.
Since I'm in the hill country with little top soil & a limestone base. What
will be a good tree(s) for shade?

Thanks!
Dave

Dave,
Me again.
Here are some suggestions to assist with selecting adequate trees for your home.
If you own the home, get the plot plan - the one that shows the lot and the envelope of the house. If you rent, ask the owner to get you a copy. Then, mark where the existing trees, flower beds, etc. are and blow up the plot plan to a manageable size.
Lay out where you want the trees planted and the flower beds placed (more).

There are a couple of books that my wife and I have used for preparing the landscaping for the homes we have owned in Austin, and in Virginia.

Books
1. Home Landscaping Texas, by Greg Grant and Roger Holmes, published by Creative Homeowner (www.creativehomeowners.com), will set you back about $20.00
2. Neil Sperry's Complete Guide to Texas Gardening, by Neil Sperry, published by Taylor Publishing Company, Dallas. Big book, will cost about $35 to $40. We have the 1991 edition and it cost $35.95.

Pamphlet
Native and Adapted Landscape Plants - an earthwise guide for Central Texas, published by the Texas Cooperative Extension, Austin, TX. This is a free publication that can be obtained at The Home Depot outside garden department - actually, we got ours at the checkout register at the Brodie Lane HD.

Once you have laid out what you want and where, visit some of the more prestigious garden centers (Gardenville comes to mind) and consult with their employees as to how well you did, they will give you recommendations of other plants and the like. The city of Austin has several garden shows either at Zilker Park or the Convention Center, check the paper/TV to see when these are going to be held and visit them. Talk with the vendors and get their opinions. Some of them may even visit your house to see what there is to work with, if you ask them.

Again, good luck with your tree planting and gardening,

Ray
South Austin
===

Thanks again for all the valuable information you have provided. I'll look into those books as well as take a look around town for additional ideas. Funny you should mention blowing up the plot plan, I just did that yesterday to start planning all the landscaping.

Thank You,
Dave