Old 08-06-2006, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Default Elderflower time again

Sacha Hubbard wrote:
I thought those with elder trees, or access to them, might like to have this:
ELDERFLOWER CORDIAL

snip

My granny used to make elderflower doughnuts - wrong term, I know, but
bear with me, they are seriously yummy:

For 8 people, you need:

16 elderflowers
20cl milk
12.5cl creme fraiche
5cl beer
The yolks and whites (separated) of 2 med eggs
50 grs of caster sugar
50 grs of honey
1 pinch of salt
Icing sugar for sprinkling

For cooking: peanut oil or other suitable veg oil

Rinse and pat dry the flowers
Sift flour and form a well
Addmilk, cream, egg yolks, sugar, salt honey and bear, and mix with a
whip, avoiding lumps - let rest in fridge for 30 mins.
Whip up egg whites till soft peaks, then incorporate gently with the
milk/flour/egg etc mixture.
Heat up oil in frying pan (deep fat fryer) to 180 degree C.
Holding the flowers by the step, dip in batter, then immediately
immerse in hot oil.
When each battered flower is golden, scoop it out with slotted spoon,
and drop onto kitchen paper.
Sprinkle generously with icing sugar, and eat while still warm.

Seriously magic, I warn you!

Cat(h)