Old 08-06-2006, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Leon Fisk

Default Poison Ivy vs Bed Bugs

On 7 Jun 2006 13:48:54 -0700, wrote:

If you were hot and sweaty this may not have been soon
enough for clean-up. I've heard less than 20 minutes for
bathing to be effective.

But if I was hot and sweaty (pores opened) wouldnt I get the affects
sooner than 1 week?
=)
Plus every morning more appeared.
So it started 1 week later, and everyday there was at least 5 more
bumps.
Thats why I have some doubts about the PI diagnosis.

The reaction/incubation period between individual people
varies greatly. A week would seem a bit long to me, but...
Is it possible that you had some early spots and just didn't
put together that something was wrong right away? I know
what a poison ivy reaction looks like and quite often I
notice it before it begins itching like the dickens.

I have had individual small spots similar to yours and large
areas on other occasions. My last tangle with PI was a mere
year ago. I had small spots scattered all over my upper
torso and arms. There were a few areas that looked more like
welts. I know exactly where I got into it. I was mowing

So your last tangle with PI looked like how mine looks?
Interesting....
I hate THIS!!
2 docs said it was, and 2 said it wasnt.

Take a look at this site/search output. Near the top are
several links to decent photos of peoples' reactions/rashes.

http://www.google.com/u/uiowa2?q=Poison+Ivy&sa=Search

Actually there is a lot of good, informative links to
articles on that page. The more informed you become the
better you will feel about it. Very few doctors are experts
on poison ivy. Most of the people sitting in their offices
don't really need to be seeing a doctor, so they don't
really have to do a thing...

I would be curious to see some photos of the area around
where the Bamboo was cut. PI isn't hard to identify and
would still be in the area where you most likely got into

the backyard has a fence, about 100 feet long.
I was on the right side/corner (I hopped over the fence)
Years ago (3-4?) a friend of my mother's helped cut the bamboo on the
left side and he got poison ivy.

I still think this is key to putting your mind at ease or
not. If there is obviously poison ivy growing where you were
working it is a safe bet that you probably got into it. If
you can't find any evidence in the area then you should
pursue the insect idea more. Crushing, cutting, mutilating
PI plants is just begging to get it. Merely brushing against
it and not breaking it open to its sap is less likely.

To be honest, I dont care about the bumps/itchiness/etc
I HOPE it is poison ivy.
Cuz I am paranoid that I brought bugs home into the house.
THAT is what I concerned about.

Go look for the poison ivy plants. If they are there it is
almost a sure bet that that is what you have.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b