Old 08-06-2006, 07:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
jtill

Default Bi-colored shrub roses?

Bert Hyman wrote:
We have two 12 year old shrub roses, supposedly "Pink Grootendorst".

One has always produced nothing but pale pink blossoms, but the other
has always had about 1/4 which are much darker, almost red.

Up 'til now I simply assumed that the grafter (these things are built
out of grafts, aren't they?) had picked up a few pieces from the
wrong pile when he built that plant, but this year I'm starting to
see a number of true bi-color blossoms, part pale pink, part dark.
Some are perfectly symmetrical, with the "north & south" quadrants
one color and the "east & west" the other.

What's up with that?

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

Bert, this is a lon.......g link but it shows some color variation
also. Maybe it happens.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DN

Can you copy and paste that into your browser? If not, I found it with
Google Images.
Joe T